Thursday 19 January 2012

A really long burn about Soul Calibur V (and maybe the whole series so far)



I've been anticipating this game since I found out that it will be released this year. I thought the series would conclude with IV and Broken Destiny, but boy I was wrong...

I wanted to buy this game because first and foremost, I am a huge fan of the Soul series. I even preferred it to Tekken because it was weapons based and I love the bond between humans and their weapons.

Before Soul Calibur, there was Soul Edge/Soul Blade
The first one was amazing. 
II was the first game to feature guest characters.
III was the first to have a Character Creation mode.
Yes, IV featured Star Wars characters.

Second, was because of the new storyline (17 years after the events of IV) that focuses on Sophitia's children and the new and returning characters. The graphics are so much better than IV, as how detailed the character models, weapons and stages are.



Lastly was because of the new and improved Character creation mode. It offers so much freedom compared to the last two SC's.


Now, I am thinking twice about buying this goddamn perverted game. I will tell you why.

First, the game is very fanservice-centered and very sexist. Especially with the character, Ivy. I mean, I love her because she's badass but the series would make excuses for her to stay in the game and exclude the other characters because she has fucking sex appeal. Take a look at this ad and look how lame it is. I don't know if this is some kind of tongue-in-cheek thing or something to please the guys into buying the game.

Jiggle jiggle

Also, they took out Taki and Seong Mina. Probably because they're fucking 40+ in the game. How come Mitsurugi and Maxi got to stay if they're like 45 or 46?? Watch this video to see what I mean.



Secondly, they left out some of my favorites that could've been in this installment. THEY. TOOK. OUT. MY. SETSUKA. And worse, they gave her fighting style to this guy.



Who's apparently the ALTERNATE version of this guy.



Seriously, I think the developers of this series have become very lazy and I think Namco is giving more way to Tekken. They could've given it to some new character and shit but no. They gave it to this dark version of this dude and they even got rid of the umbrella.

Lastly, here are two leaked screenshots of the full roster of the game. Click here to know more about the game and its characters.

Yes, Kilik is back but wasn't he succeeded by a new character? WHERE'S
ROCK, TALIM, SETSUKA, ZASALAMEL SEONG-MINA AND YUN-SEONG??

Is this one of your excuses to bring back Sophitia or one of your angel/goddess
fetishes?

My only complaints about this game is that the story is not presented well, unlike in Tekken. I also think the series so far is much more focused on gameplay than giving us the feel of following the stories, characters, etc. As I said above, the game is also centered on fan service.

I am very disappointed by how the latest game might turn out. I mean, I've been a long time fan of the series and they've been screwing it up lately. From what I can see, the presentation of the story may look promising but the casting is just awful.

I might be getting this game so that I could follow the story and see what the game has to offer. I hope I change my mind about this game once I play it and I hope the series would improve since I could induce that game developers today are becoming lazy in terms of writing and casting. The recent Final Fantasy games are losing their touch though I might be wrong when Versus XIII and Type-0 are going to be released soon.

I really hope playing this game will prove me wrong. I hope it won't disappoint me so I could continue admiring the Soul Series and anticipate another game.

No comments:

Post a Comment