Thursday 8 March 2012

Slacktivism



Lately, we're having the Kony 2012 craze around Facebook and other social networking sites. I am very much awed by how the internet can be such a powerful tool to spark an initiative and awareness among people. That viral video spread like wildfire. I think the internet is some sort of god that can destroy a whole nation with a single click of a mouse. Amazing.


I'm just surprised by how many people really do care for these issues but I kind of feel skeptical about it. Remember when we all changed our DPs in Facebook into cartoons to protest against child abuse? When my classmates presented it in class and laughed as if they were mocking it, that ignited my doubts on the whole concept of the term. I'm not sure if these people are willing to do generous acts in the present and in the future. I would totally understand that because not everyone would have the luxury of time to volunteer. It's sad that I too am guilty of such things.



We do it so we can show the world that we care.

Lately, I am annoyed by how many pictures of sickly and beaten up people or animals are spread around Facebook or Tumblr. The latter was worse because it showed a mixture of "sweet talk" and sarcasm. For example, I saw a post that said something like "Stop complaining about things in life, this kid had nothing to eat nor drink. REBLOG IF YOU CARE."

Another thing that made me doubt this is that there are conflicts between people who are supportive and those who are not. For example, the Invisible Children video scattered across cyberspace while others dismiss the latter as some sort of scam. I think people, including me, might be gullible enough or not to believe it. It's the I-have-to-share-this-to-make-sure-this-is-legit-or-not dillemma.

Maybe I'll just sit back and watch how these thing goes. I've always wanted to do volunteer work when I have time.

What are your thoughts about this phenomenon? Do you think it would influence a lot of people to commit to change or it's just another instance of bandwagoning?


2 comments:

  1. Ignoring what is right is maybe part of the human nature, which is pretty much melancholy. People do see that most children are getting wandered off to bad influences, and that poor, innocent animals are getting beaten up or tortured. They just simply ignore the situations. If people really care, then they should stand out for what they really believe in. They should not care what other stupid, selfish buttheads think about them volunteering.

    As for me, whenever I adopt a kitten from the street, people usually stare at me and ask me whether I would throw it in the river and get it lost somewhere else. But I just look at them and embrace the little kitty as my response. Even if the kitty is dirty, I don't care as long as I get it cleaned and well-fed.

    Well, Raph, I miss you, too >:D<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm very proud of you Kimbie. You're one of the people I know who can truly make a difference in this world. Saving the world one stray kitten a time!" :> >:D<

      Delete